Tuesday, April 20, 2010


THE PEARSON R COEFFICIENT AND THE MAY ELECTIONS

In this essay I shall come up with a different thrust in trying to figure out how the May 10, 2010 elections will eventually turn out.

In my previous essays, I worked out estimates of how five presidential candidates will fare in terms of votes they presumably will get, ignoring the four other candidates in the process. The process I adopted was to compute the “values” of the transiting planets as they affect the planets in the natal horoscopes of the five candidates. Working on these results, I estimated how the transiting values will translate into votes. In so doing, I combined the other four as one candidate and thus came out with an unrealistic figure to complete the forty million votes all of the nine candidates will garner.

Thus, in my second attempt to calculate the votes the candidates may garner, I had to research and complete the astrological data for all of them. In this try, the lineup of the candidates changed. While, for instance, in the first attempt I got Teodoro as Number One, followed by Estrada, the second try brought Villar as the Number Two instead of Estrada. And then, as I mentioned in my last article, I could not imagine Perlas as beating Aquino III, and Madrigal ahead of Gordon.

I am thus ending my astrological computations using the effects of the transiting planets on the birth charts of the candidates, since I have run out of ideas on how to proceed. (There are other factors in astrology that I could resort to, but then I am merely bringing so much effort to bear on something I cannot influence at all. For instance, I could resort to character analysis and weigh the factors to determine how the person will fare, but, as pointed out by my brother-in-law, I could be charged with libel in case my findings do not favor the person.)

In this essay, I shall venture to find out how the candidates “correlate” with the Republic. In the parlance of statistics, I shall engage in solving the correlation between the candidates and the country. The Pearson correlation coefficient shall be my indicator of “significance” ranging from positive One to negative One (statisticians will understand my method although they can question my doing so).

Firstly, I have to convert the planetary zodiac degrees into numbers so as to make them amenable to statistical computation. Each zodiac sign is thirty degrees wide. For instance, if the Sun is at 20 degrees and 36 minutes in Sagittarius, I do the following.

Since Sagittarius is the Ninth sign in the zodiac, I subtract one from nine and multiply the total by thirty degrees. Then I add the 20 degrees and convert the 36 minutes into decimal format. Thus the Sun is at 8 times 30 plus 20.60 or 260.60. I proceeded to convert the rest of the zodiac degrees of the other planets of the participants in the exercise.

With all the coordinates of the horoscopes of the Philippines, and the nine presidential candidates, I utilized the Excel software to compute the Pearson correlation coefficients for every candidate with the country. The results are as follows:

TEODORO 0.4016
MADRIGAL 0.1908
ESTRADA 0.1829
DELOS REYES -0.0154
AQUINO -0.0196
GORDON -0.0310
VILLAR -0.2254
PERLAS -0.3708
VILLANUEVA -0.6631

I am truly surprised to see Teodoro at the head of the list, followed by Madrigal etc. (The result will be cause for rejoicing to all Gibo fans, considering the weakening of his party due to massive defections to his opponents.) I shall not attempt to translate the figures into expected votes, since there are negative values (which apparently show opposing tendencies towards the Republic). We shall see how the May 10, 2010 elections end – will the correlation between the candidates and the country indicate their relative standings?

As well, it would be interesting to study past candidates and their resonances with the country.

No comments: